6.23.2006

taking out the monster in me

I had a major operation last Friday (16 June) to remove a big-ass dermoid cyst on my left ovary. Initially the plan was to excise the cyst and leave the ovary but when they cut me open, they found out the cyst was all over the ovary and removing the ovary became part of the surgery. The cyst was benign. A cyst was also starting to form on my right ovary so she had that cauterized as well (i still have my right ovary, thank God). I wasn’t able to see how the cyst looked like or how big it was but judging by the way my ob/gyne described it with her hand it was as big as a ponkan, about 7.1 centimeters big.

Dermoid cysts are a curios lot. According to Doc Malou, mine had teeth, hair, nails and fatty tissues. Since I wasn’t able to see mine, I googled for images. If you’re curious, head here.

Weird ano?

I had the operation at the same hospital where I gave birth to Veda. My doctor and I were laughing at the irony of this cyst operation. You see I was diagnosed with hypertension when I was pregnant with Veda but through it all I managed to deliver her normally (even if at that time my BP was so high – it was really a miracle I had a normal delivery). Almost 5 years later, I am back and this time she had to open me up ala caesarian to get to the cyst. Funny how life sometimes work out.

I brought so many things with me to the hospital: books, magazine, my zen player, my cross-stitch box – you get the drift things to while the time away. Thursday, the first book I opened was Gilda Radner’s It’s Always Something and on the foreword she narrated how she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at age 40. Ack, i immediately asked Buddy to bring it back home. Next time na lang. talk about inappropriate material.

It’s been just over a week since the operation. I stayed in the hospital for five days and have been in the house for 4 days. Cabin fever is slowly settling in. Am glad people have dropped in to cheer me up: Teenee, Niña, Maps and Raims, Kris, Vin and Kaio, Sherman and El (hospital and house). Later, Indi promised to drop by. Really looking forward to that.

Veda is the one who is the happiest with this arrangement. Her mother doesn't get to go anywhere. She's always complaining when i go out (she doesn't complain though when it's about work - i think she understands the implications hehehe). I remember one time, she told me as i was preparing to go out at night "Mama, you don't watch your favorite show anymore. Look, the OC is on o" Hahaha One time she told me, too "I just want you to sit down on the sofa and not go anywhere." now she's more sophisticated: she cries ever so hurtfully and convincingly and says she's sad when i go and that she really misses me so can i not go and just be with her? aww.

I'm fine with the recovery and all and i'm really tending my wound. But damn if i don't get cough and colds at the same time. do you know how hard it is to cough when your abdomen has just been cut up? No? Well, i do now. It's hard. i have to cough in stages. I sound like some wheezing cat trying to cough out a hairball, hahaha. Then last night, my nose started running. argh. veddy, veddy inconvenient.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tin-Ling said...

Hey Earnest! Was just thinking of you today. Will text you tomorrow and come by again next week with THE BOOKS! As long as you're up for that :)

I'm easily squeamish but yes, I checked out the images of the dermoid cyst. Possibly the nastiest thing I've seen in recent memory. Thank God it's out of you :)

Your Veda stories are hilarious! Napaka-wais ng anak mo! Super precocious! Alaveet. See you soon!

1:20 AM  
Blogger sunshine said...

Ran across your blog and wanted to send my well wishes. I had 2 dermoids and an endo cyst that was removed via emergency surgey last spring. Still recovering...

I affectionately named the largest cyst (12 cm) Chompers. :) When I looked at the x-ray they took in the ER, you could see the fatty deposits and it looked like I swallowed a set of dentures. :)

Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Take care!

10:57 AM  
Blogger miranila said...

Dear Teenee, thanks again for the visit although am sheepish to say i haven't watched any of the dvds you brought for me. slightly, i'm in a mababaw mode. the things i saw: shallow hal (jack black is love), shaolin soccer and part of kungfu hustle. Yes, i can laugh now. soon, soon, i can join you guys and it looks like i'm missing a lot hahaha *hugs*

Sunshine, 12 centimeters is BIG. Chompers is perfect alright. good luck on your recovery

Aims, thanks for the prayers and love - naramdaman ko talaga kahit malayo kayo. I'm getting well as i write this so doncha worry about this sandalan going anywhere :) we miss you and we look forward to september.
thanks for the yarn and paraphrasing carina, "think of them as the thread that leads you back to us." mwah!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Joseph Santos-Lyons said...

hey Earnest, prayers here too, from our Catholic Chapel of the Sisters of Providence. Get better sister!

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aye ate earnest..maits hir =) pagaling ka po ha..miss ko na kau nila veda--grabeh!!;) ingats lagi =) God bless you & your family =) you guys are always in mah prayers =) mwahs ;o fashyown!! ;) text me lang if u nid anything--09272724720 =) cge =)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Walter Ang said...

i'm glad your okay na. really.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home