5.24.2007

rise and fall

I am gearing up for that rollercoaster ride called job hunting. This means scouring the Sunday papers, asking/bugging friends to send whatever job opening that they stumble upon my way and of course polishing ye olde resume.

Funny thing is, I actually feel good tweaking my resume. In three pages or less, you get a clear picture of where you have been and a somehow more concrete view of where you wanna go. Ang galing nga, e. In the past I had some misgivings about my ‘career trajectory.’ I remember this professor who interviewed me during the application process for my masters in sociology. He said, ‘you have a very inconsistent resume. You jump from one type to another.’ At that time I thought, it was because I was still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Less than a decade later, I find that all my work experiences and the skills, values and strategies I learned from them are important components of the field I want to specialize in. They don’t look so ungainly anymore. In fact, they look so coordinated (in my eyes at least).

Writing a cover letter is a different story altogether. Where tweaking one’s resume gives rise to a sense of accomplishment, writing the cover letter is some sort of a rude awakening. It’s like “sure, you have all these and that but you still have to convince TPTB to give you the job let alone include you in their short list.” Selling myself - whether it's a personal essay, a short blurb to accompany an article - has always caused me some anxiety. This time around though, I am more comfortable. A big part of that is probably due to the loads of self-describing blog entries I have written here. Navel-gazing has its benefits.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What industry are you looking into? What field are you interested in?

4:01 PM  
Blogger miranila said...

Hi Candice,

I'm really partial towards working with development issues specifically with public advocacy :)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Earnest,

I emailed you something from Oxfam HK.

by the way Oxfam dito sa Manila have temp jobs available--have you asked Jing? it is great jump off to development work :)

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to try Emurse at http://www.emurse.com (No, this is not an ad, haha). Having your resume online and ready for any format (text, doc, pdf) is great.

I usually have my cover letters and some answers to those what-makes-you-think-we'll-hire-you questions in google notebook.

So wherever I am when I got an itch to apply, I got my ammo.

4:14 PM  
Blogger miranila said...

aww, you guys are so sweet :)

Thanks Day for the heads up. I will try to hook up with Jing.

Arlan, preparing is really half the battle, no? care to share with me some of those questions? LOL

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home