2.10.2005

taking the high road

“Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!” - Clairee Belcher (Olympia Dukakis), Steel Magnolias, 1989

Ever been put in a position where you're just desperately being baited to engage in mud slinging?

I've had my fair share especially when I was in high school. When I was younger i wouldn't think twice to take on a challenge no matter how petty it was. As a friend jokingly admonished me some two weeks ago when I accidentally hit her 2-year old daughter: "wag mo ilabas sa anak ko ang sama ng loob mo. tara sa parking lot tayo." It sounds funny, right, especially when you're at my age.

Anyway, as I grew older, I found that retaliating in kind is self-defeating; counter productive and an utter waste of valuable time and resources. Instead, i try to focus inwardly and after a few tug and pull, I always manage to stay still and just take the high road.

When it comes to mudslinging, it will always be one person's word against another. At the end of the day, who wins? Neither. The only one who benefits (a dubious benefit at that) is the public who, I guess is the primary reason why dirty linen is being aired out in the first place - a game of public perception. He who gets the public on his side wins. Or does he really?

She who battles with her issues at the right time and manages to live harmoniously ultimately wins. In my book, living well and loving well is the grand prize you can achieve in this game show we lovingly call life.

2 Comments:

Blogger haiku said...

Amen to that. :)

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mah-mee, are you dissing our chism sessions??!! hindi ka na disipilo ng ating mga gah-sip mania? do you no longer subscribe to the adage: a healthy dose of gossip is better than pasta de aligue?! nhow did dis happen? who will i make tsismis wid?

sige, i will calm down.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home