1.26.2006

Good hair day

What is it with coffee?

I just drank half a cup of cappuccino and now I’m giddily happy. Ang weird talaga. Now I want to dance to Beck’s “Hell, Yes” currently playing on my Pandora Beck station.

What’s up with this weather?

Why is it raining in the middle of January? I know it's also nice as the cold means people can wear layers but it’s also wet so you can’t really wear nice shoes. But at the same time, I’m grateful for this weather as it really suits my hair just fine. My hair falls in soft, cascading wavy curls. Unlike when it’s hot, and they go haywire and they look so dried out and washed out like the needles of a walis tambo.

This reminds me of when I was a kid in Bontoc, Mountain Province. My paternal lolo (I grew up with my da’s parents) was a barber who owned and ran his barber shop called Ricmar (name after his children, Ricardo and Marietta). My lola naman was a modista. The place we lived in had a mezzanine which overlooked the barber shop on one side and the kitchen on the other. The mezzanine also served as our bedroom (you know just one big space with 2 big beds put together).

One day my lola bought a brand new walis tambo and hung it on the kitchen side of the mezzanine. So if you were eating at the dining table and happened to look up, you will see the tambo hovering over you.

One restless afternoon, I was at the same table trying to think up something to do. Up went my gaze, and a light bulb turned on in my head. I headed towards Lola’s shears and got myself a comb and went to the walis tambo. Channeling my lolo’s barbering skills, I began cutting the ‘hair’ of the tambo. Ang saya. I was snipping here and combing there. I probably went for some style (baka apple cut kasi late 70s eto) and before I know it, the tambo was all panot. And guess where all of it went? Yep, they were all on top of the dining table.

Needless to say, I got a beating when my lola saw the horrors on top of her dining table. Lagi talaga akong napapalo noon ng mga grandparents ko. I find it funny now but boy did they hurt at the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home