4.05.2006

April a-happening

Just want to inform you about some of the things you should check out.

First is Arnold Arre’s latest – his first in our very own Filipino language – comic book, titled “Andong Agimat.” It’s available at all branches of Comic Quest, and Fully Booked. I don’t have a copy yet but I will buy one as soon as.


A 2006 National Book Awardee?

Next up is Quark’s and Lia’s latest collaboration called Blow-up Babies – an edgy photo shop that beautifully and artfully captures your child's (or yours, even) fleeting childhood moments (I make such crappy copy hahaha). Basta check it out: The shop is located at the Cinema level of Gateway Mall in Cubao, beside Cinema 2, I think.

I’m really impressed with I’ve seen so far and also what I saw with Veda’s shots (guinea pig hahaha). The shots are really great (lights and shadows are used effectively, the costumes aren’t run-of-the-mill, the backdrops and props are very impressive). They have an ongoing promo which gets you a free photo session. Thanks Quark and Lia and everyone at BuB for Veda's pic. We had it framed na. Excited to see the rest of the pictures.


Can you see the baby's feet?

Dong Abay, formerly of Yano and Pan, is coming up with his first ‘solo’ album this end of April. Produced by Robin Rivera, the album features 14 tracks. Joining him at the studio were musicians Buddy Zabala, Raimund Marasigan and Vinty Lava. I’ve heard the album and it’s really good. It’s absolute Dong. (again, crappy copy hehehe) “Mahirap maging mahirap.”

Congratulations to Luis Katigbak, Zach Lucero, Denise Mallabo and everyone at Burn. After months of toil and hard work, a new music magazine is set to hit the newsstands this April. I really look forward to getting myself a copy of this mag because I miss Luis’ articles about the music scene. (btw, Luis, you might not know it but you have made me a fan of Jonathan Caroll. Indi was supposed to give you back a supot of your books but they got waylaid at home. Ang ingenious ng Land of Laughs! Soli ko agad sila pramis)

So was the mag's name influenced by "Burn. Baby, Burn" or "I want you to burn?" (corny joke courtesy of Indi ahahaha)

====
some links that interfere with workplace productivity:

Make your own Dubya speech

Fantastic Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game

Ever wondered how the McDonald's mega-corp does its dirty work? Wonder no more. Try your hand at this clever Mcdonald's videogame

6 Comments:

Blogger soulcraftwriter said...

sorry, this must be a stupid question, but is dong abay the vocalist of yano?

well, whether yes or not, kudos to him. i loved yano's music in college. am looking forward to hearing this album.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Luis K. said...

Yay! Thanks so very much for the kind words and the congrats. :)

During our first meetings about the magazine, I jotted down lotsa single-word possibilities for the magazine's name: Sonik, Zone, Freq (pronounced "Freak"), Jam, etc. The one everyone liked turned out to be Burn, which I took from the somewhat-recent musical distribution battlecry of "rip, mix, burn". It is not indicative of a deep admiration for Tina Arena. ;p I swear.

Am very happy to be indirectly responsible for turning you into a Jonathan Carroll fan! I've got plenty more books by him, if you wanna borrow. :)

5:07 AM  
Blogger miranila said...

Hey ella, Welcome back from Singapore. Did you have fun? Slightly i was bored the first and only time i was there. hopefully, i get to re-visit the city and have the a grander time than last time :)

Uy, salamat Luis for the books. Excited na ako. Naloka din ako doon sa "teeth of angels."

1:54 PM  
Blogger Luis K. said...

"From the Teeth of Angels" is my favorite :)

1:59 AM  
Blogger Tin-Ling said...

Hey Earnest! Found you through Niña's LJ, like she said I would. As I'm avoiding stalkers, I'll just give you the address to my blogspot the next time we see each other. Security has already been breached, but I don't want to aggravate the situation by posting my address here :) Paranoid much? See you soon!

- Teenee :)

2:07 AM  
Blogger miranila said...

Hi Aims,

i'm sure by now, you've given birth to baby Lualhati. Congratulations. please send pics asap. :)

Teenee, you're just tad on the paranoid side hahaha. can't wait for Bora! whee!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home